Thursday, July 10, 2008

Who is the woman and why is she grinning?

A. It's me.
B. I have an Eye-Fi card in the camera and this picture is being instantly and simultaneously sent to Phanfare and to my computer.

Ok, I admit that I could have combed my hair and smiled less threateningly, but I was caught up in the moment. My new camera (Canon PowerShot SD 1100 IS) arrived after dinner yesterday. Installing the software for it and for the Eye-Fi was a whole lot easier than waiting patiently for the UPS guy!

We leave for camp (www.folkschool.org) tomorrow at 0-dark-30. The car trunk is already full of my projects--here's hoping I don't forget my sewing machine--and I'm working through my list of last-minute to-dos. Don't worry: I won't bore you with those details. Been there, done that.

What I'm most excited about is being with the other "campers." If you ever wondered where all the Hippies went, they have jobs (many of them are English teachers like myself) and spend their summers at places like JCFS. [I know we are alive (and maybe even well) since I did see a VW bus sputtering down VA Rt 66 the other day. Perhaps it was on its way to a commune in a big farmhouse.] The demographic is inspiring: we are green, we are liberal, we are interesting, we are sociable. Just what you'd expect of Flower Children, all growed up. Mealtime conversations are energetic and inspiring, whether we are solving the world's problems or brainstorming a design solution. Camp "fills the well" and is more than whatever someone chooses to produce over the course of a five-day class.

Having said that, Quilting by the Lake (the week after camp) had better be all about the class. I hope to be surprised and inspired by that population as well. (Did you hear the but?)

1 comment:

TJM wanna be quilt artist said...

Wow would never had recognized you kiddo!
Have a great time at camp and think positive about QBL!