Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Apron



It's finished.
The vinyl goth apron destined for the auction block at Quilting By the Lake was completed yesterday around dinner time--and I swear the image is not sideways in my photo gallery. What's that all about? Maybe there's a Goth in the machine.

What I love: the reactions this item gets, the neck strap made out of grommeted vinyl tape sewn over twill tape and fastened with mitten clips and a very large safety pin, the way it looks on me (too bad I'm giving it up).

Issues:
  • I was going for something with a bit more edge, but once I saw how the pretty little housewifey flounce looked in vinyl, I stuck with it.

  • I wanted to use expanding paint for the Gothic letters. Doesn't work on plastic. I wanted to use fabric paint to stencil the letters onto the vinyl. Again, not on plastic. I tried to use Staz-on ink but the color I brought didn't show up. The ink, however, stuck wonderfully to the counter top, to the sink, and to the stencil film.

  • I used vinyl glue to tack down the facings and to attache the skull applique. Vinyl glue eats vinyl, so there may be a lump or two here and there. What the heck--it only adds to the attitude.







2 comments:

TJM wanna be quilt artist said...

Cute! hey does it have a pocket? or should I say pockets?

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...well, at least we got to see it ON you! Bourbon and coke would make a nice accessory item, though(!)...wayne