Friday, August 1, 2008

Active Procrastination


It's been a busy week in my studio.

I am monitoring fabric that I've put outside to rust. This is a passive activity, so maybe this doesn't count as my being busy. I made a QBL video twice—NOT a passive activity either time (counts double). And I am making the first doll from the book Art Doll Adventure. The doll is less than successful, but I’m learning a lot.


After a morning of concentrated reading, pondering, and composing, I got caught up in my on-line class. While on-line, I visited Amazon and bought a Canon MP970 printer so I can work with photos. It was delivered the very next day (because of luck and a wonderful UPS hub near me, not because I opted for upgraded delivery), so I set it up (hours) and immediately made a poster-sized image for Sheri’s pieced art quilts class (http://www.theartfulquilter.com/) next week. Piecing and pasting together the partial "poster" images took the rest of the day.


Through this all, I have successfully procrastinated doing my homework quilt for Cyndi’s class. It's not that I haven't worked on it. One of the canvases I painted last week was based on the design I’m supposed to use. I'm having issues with my vision for this project, a vision which does not match what I've been able to produce so far. I could quilt this canvas whole-cloth, maybe add some bling. In the meantime, I'll keep moving. I can get a lot accomplished when I’m avoiding something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the interest of full disclosure, you should admit that you did bring in homework. Apparently you have mastered the most important quilting skill of all: everything in its own time.

I am, after all, the Queen of Avoidance.