Thursday, January 13, 2011

Playing Catch Up

I'm feeling guilty for not having blogged in so long, so here's a photo of one of the quilts I finished during my silent times. I called it The Bear because it was the bear who ate me. The arcs are paper pieced but the pattern was mis-printed: I made 6 backwards arcs before I realized I was wasting resources. Now I'm waiting for fabric for the binding since too much of it was used incorrectly.


I probably should have called this quilt "The Groundhog." Jean and I had ridden our motorcycles up to Webfabrics in Purcellville where I bought these batiks and stuffed them into my saddlebags. The easy road home was closed and we had to take my nemisis road home: Snickersville Pike. Dark, curvy, unlined: in short, a nightmare for the likes of me. At the first hairpin curve (actually, it's no more acute than any normal stop street, only it's not a stop street), something hit my back wheel. Later Jean told me it had been a groundhog. I think we were all lucky--I didn't drop my bike and Jean didn't crash into me. I have to assume the ground hog got away clean since I found no fur in my spokes.


Old story, but there it is. Before I took the class that showed me (almost) how to make the Venice Rose as you see it above (and since quilted by the fabulous Marilyn Moser), I had made a smaller quilt to memorialize the event. This quilt was probably posted before, but it goes with the story.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the hell biker is still my favorite...