Friday, July 25, 2008

Finished

I dumped the original busy project and replaced it with this one. I may return to it tomorrow if time permits. In the meantime, I have a finished product for show and tell tomorrow afternoon.

This quilt (about 20" square) started out with my favorite painted canvas (textile paint texturized with a tiling tool). I cut it into several pieces and rearranged them to create an acceptable composition. Another canvas that had been painted with blue acrylic and stenciled with metallic copper acrylic provided the blue elements, and the red is a Moda marble.

I stitched in the ditch around all the geometric shapes with monofilament, quilted the bamboo stenciling with gold metallic thread, and quilted around the abstract globs with variegated thread. I also stitched straight lines along some of the stripes. The edging was finished with satin stitching in two colors of variegated thread.

I'm pleased with the overall effect. Cyndi is going to be proud of me because it has a focal point. Teddi is not going to see arrows that point to nowhere since I was so very careful to create a flowing composition. Elizabeth likes it, too, and said so. Yippee!

What I would do differently next time: use facings for the edges instead of satin stitch, and plan my quilting. I lied. I won't plan my quilting. I have no idea how to plan my quilting which is why my quilting is always the weakest element of my projects. Maybe next year I should take a class on how to develop quilting patterns that enhance projects.

In the meantime, I like the composition and the colors of this project. I'll try another one at home and may be able to enter it in Hampton in January. (Workshop projects are not allowed in many juried shows.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PS: Update: The threads have been trimmed and the quilt really does hang straight.